Now, I’m pretty good at navigating websites and second-guessing the nuances of wizz kid designers. So whilst I won’t go as far as to say the new Spicer Hallfield website actually got me beat, time is money, and after fifteen minutes of trying to locate the products I wanted, I caved in and picked up the phone.
- Hello, I’d like to place an order please.
- I’m sorry we can’t take your order over the phone.
After explaining I couldn’t locate the items on their new web site, she put me through to someone called Mark who kindly talked me through the intricacies of the new portal. Apparently it is easier to enter a keyword, such as “Classic” to narrow down the number of items you have to scroll through! Once you’ve found the album you require, however, there is no link to buy spare pages for that album. You have to start a completely new search, again guessing what the best keyword might be this time!
OK, so we’re getting there. Wait…! It states on the website that orders placed after 1.00pm on Wednesday 29th April won’t be dispatched until May 6th. Today is Wednesday all right, but April 30th!
Another phone call…
- Me: Did you mean Tuesday 29th?
- SH: Oh! that must be a mistake. No, the deadline is today at 1.00pm.
- Me: Can’t I just give you my order over the phone?
- SH: Sorry sir. We can’t take your order over the phone.
So it’s back to the web site and eventually to the checkout. £137.30 plus £16.50 Carriage. Hmm. I wonder how much more I need to spend for the order to be carriage-free? Despite a five minute search, the site refused to divulge this information.
Phone call number three…
- Me: How much do I need to spend for a carriage-free order?
- SH: £150 sir.
- Me: It doesn’t say so anywhere on the site. The 1.00 o’clock deadline is looming, can’t you just take my order over the phone?
- SH: Sorry about that sir. And no, I’m afraid we’re not able to take your order over the phone.
- Me: I’ve placed an order for £155.30 via the web site, It’s more than the minimum for carriage-free, yet it’s still wanting to take £16.50 for carriage.
- SH: Yes, I’m afraid there is a problem with carriage charges on the web site. Would you like me to take your order over the phone?